Friday, June 10, 2011

On The Surface

Preconceived notions are the locks on the door to wisdom.  ~Merry Browne



I just got back from Wal-mart. I was looking for new headphones for the ipod as I was in desperate need  for music. As I walked around for a bit I finally got what I had came for. In the check out line I noticed a old man staring at me. We didn't exchange words, 


We didn't have too. He didn't like what he saw. 


The look of distaste was very clear on his face.


I was trying to figure out what I had done to this man, maybe I cut him in the line or something. I tried striking a conversation just to make small talk and to maybe disarm him a little bit. In my most polite tone of voice made mention of the weather we were having. Original I know.  But if isn't broken why fix it. 


Nothing. He stared at me. 


Now I was confused but okay, I will go about my business. Then he spoke to me.
"Back in my day we wouldn't be caught dead in them nigger clothes." 


Whoah. He just went there.


Now to paint a image in your head I had a shirt that fit me comfortably, not overly baggy or anything, some blue denim jeans and throwback. Now just incase you don't know what a throwback is it's a flat-bill hat that baseball players and rappers wear. I was seriously caught off guard. My mouth moved on reflex 


"well sir, back in your day they still thought the planet was flat."


Corny yes but like I said reflex. I might have said something more clever but it was 7am. He shot me a dirty look and payed for his shit and left. It was a total shock factor. We have ignorant people. I sometimes forget. Ignorance is like the  disease of the mind. Its like a poison. I have friends from all walks of life; black, white, mexican, emo, jock, preps, rednecks, you name it. It's almost like I was selling them like a super market. You name it I got it. It didn't offend me I've seen it enough in my time. Just made me sad. We still have really far to go. But what can we do? I guess just be part of the solution not the problem. He saw me for what I was on the surface, and went from there. Oh well his loss. 


I refuse to let ignorance ruin my day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment